EnCourage members are parents, spouses, siblings of persons who identify as LGBTQ. They are looking for help to keep the faith and keep their family bonds intact.
EnCourage members work together to understand the experiences of their loved ones, and to respond to them with compassion. They know that it is possible to express love for someone even if we can’t support all of their choices or actions. They find spiritual guidance to grow in their relationship with Christ, and community support from other members that helps them remember that they are not alone on this journey.
In recognition of the irreplaceable role of the family in attaining an understanding of the experience of same-sex attractions and embracing a life of chastity, EnCourage was founded. As an apostolate of Courage, and flowing from its central purpose, EnCourage provides pastoral care to family members and friends of persons who identify as LGBT.
Here are the Five Goals of EnCourage:
- To grow spiritually through spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Eucharist;
- To gain a deeper understanding of the needs, difficulties, and challenges of men and women who experience same-sex attractions;
- To establish and maintain a healthy and wholesome relationship with loved ones who experience same-sex attractions;
- To assist other family members and friends to reach out with compassion and truth, and not to reject, their loved ones who experience same-sex attractions;
- To witness to their loved ones by their own lives that fulfillment is to be found in Jesus Christ through His Body, the Church.